Thursday, February 12, 2009

WHO IS HERMAN WALLACE?



Since I spent my last essay explaining my trip to New Orleans and my interaction with Jackie Sumell I figured it was a good idea to explore her art a little further. I definitely learned a few things myself... I guess provocative would be the best way to describe her. In 2001 in a protest against Bush's Ban she shaved off all of her pubic hair as well as collected zip lock bags full of it from anonymous supporters. Bush's Pubic Enemy No. 1. It was this project that gained her the recognition needed to carry out "The House That Herman Built"
As I mentioned before Herman Wallace is a man who is being held in Angola State penitentiary for armed robbery. He has been incarcerated for over 30 years with most of that time spent in a 6x9 foot cell. During Herman's time in prison he was wrongly accused of murdering a guard during a peaceful protest to help end the segregation and racism taking place in the prison. He still has not been released and has no chance at parole. (You can read the whole story and history of the prison on the website under "statements"). Jackie's activism through her art has raised a lot of attention about Herman's situation along with rest of the Angola three. She is an inspiring woman who has dedicated her art, and her life to helping others.
Whether you find her projects gross or inspiring they definitely aren't easily forgettable. It is my belief that art is meant to inspire change and growth. Whether you use your art to grow yourself or to help the growth of a more tolerant and thoughtful world. Jackie Sumell's art exemplifies this notion.


Here are some photos I took of Jackie in the neighborhood she started the community center in.

1 comment:

mjd said...

jackie's a force of nature. like robin hood, if hood were american, and tough, moved to the city, and understood about hurricanes. so maybe jax is nothing like ole rob, and more like john henry swingin' that hammer . . .

we can't afford to not know angola. or herman wallace.

solidarity.